There will be a more substantive post later which includes the Annual Chair Report to AALL, but here are some brief notes on RIPS activities at the 2010 AALL Annual Meeting in Denver.
- Word of mouth on the programs we sponsored was highly positive.
- The C8 Forum sparked such a lively discussion that we ran a little long. Apologies to the FCIL-SIS for the inconvenience.
- There was a full house for the Research Instruction Roundtable, and the Patron Services Roundtable was well attended considering a lot of us were hitting the proverbial wall by Monday evening. The presence of private, court, and agency librarians helped spark the hour long discussions
- The Breakfast/Business Meeting was our largest to date, and the Hyatt’s food was well received. Our mascot, Puron the Penguin was passed along to the 2010-2011 Chair, Katie Brown. The rest of this year’s Executive Board consists of Kris Helge (Texas Wesleyan), Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect; Maribel Nash (Chicago Kent), Secretary/Treasurer; Uwe Beltz (Texas Tech) & Liz McCurry (Charlotte School of Law), Members at Large; and me as Past Chair.
- Jessie Burchfield, from the University of Arkansas – Little Rock, and Duane Strojny, from Thomas M. Cooley Law School were named co-recipients of the 2010 RIPS Star Award.
- The Alphabet Soup reception was highly attended, and the addition of the Mersky Spirit of Law Librarianship Award announcement made it an even better event.
- Lots of interest in the SIS was shown among CONELL attendees, folks stopping by the Activities Area table, and AALL as a whole. Congratulations to Marianne Rogers, (York University Law Library) and Shira Megerman (soon to be at the University of Florida Law Library) for winning our prize drawings.
Thank you to everyone who made it such a terrific Annual Meeting and a fantastic year for RIPS. I was honored to be a part of it.
Robb Farmer, Past Chair RIPS-SIS